[OM] E-1 prints

Subject: [OM] E-1 prints
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:37:34 +1200
Hi all,

I just had my first prints made (from an Agfa D lab 3), on Agfa Sensatis
paper.

Where accurate focus and DOF is not an issue, the prints are astoundingly
sharp from the ZD 14-45 f/3.5~5.6.   The little 4x6 inch prints of a landscape
with a good surface to focus on, are sharper than anything I have ever seen
before at that size. I tried a range of enlargements up to 8 x 12 and all were
good; unfortunately the one large size I had made was of a rather misty
landscape so it is not so easy to draw conclusions.

On Friday I submitted the shots I took for the photo essay I did on the
Christchurch estuary. The one that really took their fancy was a grab shot
from my balcony where there was a lot of shiny silvery reflected light off a
large expanse of damp sands etc with braided patterns; I had shot close to
right into the sun, and this one illustrates the artifact that people have
mentioned before - that of digital not being able to cope very well with bright
point sources of light.  I cannot see any flare though. Being a grab shot, I
had not used the tripod but instead rested my hands somewhat awkwardly
against the side of the house- and it shows in an image that is not as sharp
as I prefer; I did some post-processing and colour management after their
choice was done.

So they short-listed relatively little of my other work.

I now have a circular polarising filter for this lens; bought in HK on the bay
at
a good price..

Brian