[OM] Re: Speck in 100mm f2

Subject: [OM] Re: Speck in 100mm f2
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 18:49:33 +0000
Suddenly, without warning, a few months ago there appeared, right smack-dab in
the middle of my 50/2, a tiny, shiny, gold-colored thing, a mere sliver, less
than a millimeter long, apparently stuck right behind the front element.  Since
it's the color it is, I have assumed it's a bit of brass that finally shook
loose from where it had been stuck since the lens's innards had been machined.
It seems to have absolutely to effect, neither with resolution, flare, bokeh,
or anything else.  Yet, it bothers me considerably, although I have to hold the
lens at just the right angle in exactly the right light to see the thing.

But does it bother me enough to get out that rubber stopper doohicky and try to
unscrew things I have no business unscrewing in order to get at it?  No.  Does
it bother me enough to pay the $$$ it would cost for someone else to unscrew
things I fear to in order to remove the thing?  No.  So, I'm living with it.

Does it annoy you when people ask questions, then answer them?  I know it does
me.

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from