[OM] Re: Speck in 100mm f2

Subject: [OM] Re: Speck in 100mm f2
From: "John A. Lind" <jalind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 17:21:54 -0500
At 02:25 PM 5/28/2005, Robert Swier wrote:

>Ah, yes, I was afraid that would be the consensus: It is not the lens
>that needs fixing, but its owner! I'm not quite sure that I'll ever be
>able to love the speck, or disregard it completely, but hopefully I
>can avoid having it send me to an early grave!
>
>Thanks for the comments.

I quit looking for dust specks in my lenses long ago;  a few specks are not
something worth seeking refuge from the rest of The Universe by crawling to
the top of a tall crane.  I do occasionally perform an aperture blade
inventory to ensure none have gone AWOL, and look for any bubbles that
might have mysteriously formed inside the glass.

More seriously, I look for dust on the outside . . . especially after
tramping around out in the field.  Enough fine dust can flare.  The only
other thing I routinely check (before each use) is aperture blade
responsiveness on the Tamron lenses (to ensure the OM mount adapter
stop-down lever hasn't gotten sticky . . . something that happened to me
once in the past . . . a quick fix) and the ancient 50mm f/1.5 Sonnar on my
Zeiss Ikon Contax for oil on the aperture blades . . . something a lens
that old can succumb to from sheer age.  The most precious thing in a
camera lens' compound optics is generally the rear element and its
condition, plus mechanical condition of the aperture and focusing.

-- John Lind