[OM] Re: Speck in 100mm f2

Subject: [OM] Re: Speck in 100mm f2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 19:11:02 -0700
Timpe, Jim wrote:

>Quoting here:
>
>My beautiful Zuiko 100mm f2, which I bought new perhaps two years ago, seems
>to have acquired an internal speck of dust.  Or should I learn to live with
>it?

Just live with it? NO! Honor it! It shows that you have been using it
for that for which it was created. Focusing moves the lens itself in the
mount, sucking air in and blowing it out. In the case of the 100/2,
there is also movement of lens elements relative to each other, moving
more air around. Dust is inevitable in a lens that is used. A lens
without dust is a lens neglected.

Besides, it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever in the images from
it. And if you have it removed, the only way to keep more from showing
up is to keep it sealed up and unused. So you have two choices, worry
about it, spoil your life, ruin your health and die an early, unhappy
death. Or embrace it with joy, enjoy your life, be happy and healthy and
die old and content, leaving a slightly dusty lens to you heirs.

Your choice.

Moose