[OM] Digitalis

Subject: [OM] Digitalis
From: "R. Jackson" <jackson.robert.r@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 19:14:22 -0700
I shot about 50-60 photos over the last few days with the new
P@anasonic FX-7. I thought I'd post a couple of follow-up comments
for those interested. The short version is that I still don't like
shooting digital (at least not with a pocket digi) as much as film.
The Panny is very friendly. The image-stabilization really allows
amazing things. I can get very clear shots at 1/8 if I hold it with
both hands. The live histogram is a first for me and really handy. I
don't know how you could shoot digital without it. It just doesn't
have the latitude of film, though. I blow out highlights on it pretty
regularly so far. Not that I didn't on my old digi, but that doesn't
make it any more acceptable. Going from slightly over 3 megapixels to
5 has shown me that my Powerbook isn't as fast as I thought. The
images come up a lot slower. I wish iPhoto would synch automatically
with my PowerMac at home. I hate having to manually drag everything
across. Just a gripe I thought I'd mention. My Stylus is about the
size of this camera, just about as friendly and the results are
better. I know a lot of it has to do with sensor size and some of it
is the bit density of the internal processing. I just wish someone
would get a small camera to perform like its 35mm compact cousins.
This sounds overly negative and it shouldn't, really, I like the
Panny a lot. I just think we're a few generations away from pocket
digis that really do the job.