[OM] Re: [OT] Any virus checker recommendations?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Any virus checker recommendations?
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 08:59:24 -0400
Thanks to those who sent me their antivirus recommendations both on and
off list.  I decided to give AVG free a try and it seems to be working
as it should.  Gave me some bizarre error about not being able to get
through my firewall on the first attempt to retrieve the latest virus
defintions but worked OK later on.  I think there may have been some
problem with my ISP last night as there were a few other strange
behaviors noted on other apps.

But then there was other much more bizarre behavior from Norton
SystemWorks and Netscape 7.1:  Since I was going to install AVG I needed
to uninstall Norton SystemWorks 2001.  When I went to the Windows
uninstaller are chose Norton SystemWorks it asked me to verify... Did I
really want to uninstall Netscape 7.1?

Eh?  What's that?  I couldn't conceive of what was going on at that
point and decided to go to Symantec's site and look for instructions on
manually unistalling Systemworks 2001.  A search of their site turned up
the reference but when I clicked on the link I was informed that the
file no longer existed.  !$!%$@^#$%$!!  Boy, was I ticked.  Delete the
support files before you tell the customer that the product is no longer
supported!!  After calming down and becoming more rational I decided to
give Google a go.  Google located the file... on Symantec's website.

Anyhow, while stepping through the manual uninstall and whacking away at
the registry I note that one of the entries to be deleted is a
reference to \WINNT\NSuninst.exe in the uninstall key.  Suddenly I see
the light.  NS = Norton SystemWorks but also NS = NetScape.  So NetScape
7.1 happily installed over the top of Norton SystemWorks and replaced
its same name unistall routine.  How stupid to have application specific
files in a common system directory.  Arrggghhh!!!

Ah well.  Norton SystemWorks 2001 is gone... I think.  And AVG is
running.  It's also time to replace Netscape 7.1 with Firefox.

Thanks again, all.
Chuck Norcutt