[OM] Re: [OT] Any virus checker recommendations?

Subject: [OM] Re: [OT] Any virus checker recommendations?
From: "Simon Worby" <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:12:40 +0100
swisspace wrote:

> I installed kerio personal firewall, it has to be installed before
> you connect as within seconds of connecting to an ISP a virus attack
> was discovered and blocked

I agree with the rest, but my colleagues and I won't install "Personal
Firewalls". They seem to have to try to justify their existence, and they ask
questions which even I sometimes can't really answer, so the average user has
nil chance.

If you're getting attacked when you connect to an ISP, then your connection is
the problem, and a hardware solution is the right one -- a router doing NAT for
you is the answer. I won't set up broadband connections of any sort (even ISDN)
which aren't through a NAT'd router and/or hardware firewall.

A DSL router is only £50 now, and the best £50 you'll ever spend. And
furthermore, it doesn't burden the PC and slow it down like personal firewalls.

Simon