[OM] Re: OT: Wind chill (was: problem with OM4 & cold weather)

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Wind chill (was: problem with OM4 & cold weather)
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 22:41:29 -0400

> That probably is not a good example.  Let's get back to the basic facts.
>
> Wind chill is a PERCEIVED temperature, not an actual one.  It's what
temperature it FEELS LIKE it is on bare skin.

> Hypothetical situation:  If it's 30F outside and there's a 15mph wind, the
wind chill factor is 15F, meaning that's what it feels like on your
bare-nekkid nose.  If your OM-whatever is on a tripod, no matter how long it
sits there or how much harder the wind blows, it's never going to get colder
than 30F, because that's how cold the air is and it can't get any colder
than the air, no matter how fast the air goes by.

> Get it?
>
> Walt

You need to read more carefully what I said. Of course the camera will never
get colder than the actual temperature, and I never said or implied it
would. Nor will a person, or anything else.
Our local TV weatherman states it best, as he prefers to call it "feels
like" temperature, rather than wind chill.
"Wind chill" is not science, but just a way of expressing how the chilling
effect of wind and temperature feels in comparison to tempertaure without
wind. So as an example, -10 with X mph wind speed feels like -25 with no
wind. Of course it's not exact science and it really doesn't work that
simply. There is no scientific formula to relate the two. Humidity also
affects it. It's not exact science.
Something hotter than the air around it will cool faster with the wind
blowing by it, whether it be people or things.
Wayne