[OM] Re: E-300 and E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: E-300 and E-1
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 15:02:48 -0800
swisspace wrote:

>when I get a dlsr I will want to use it with my old lenses and bellows
>etc, I haven't seen an E-1 in the flesh, but I have seen the E-300 which
>looks like it would have no problem attaching to the bellows.

That looks to be true from the pictures.

>A colleague has just bought a c*non D20 and I am hoping to borrow an om
>to eos adapter ring to see if it possible to use with bellows

I can tell you my experience with the 300D from a prior post. I suspect
the 20D would have a similar limitation:
"The problem with the 300D, and I would think, all others, is not
anything on the bellows, as the mounting flange comes easily off the
bellows body. The bellows can then be mounted on the flange without any
twisting. The clearance problem is the big tab on the mounting flange
that is used both to turn it onto and off the body and as the lens mount
release. For this tab to clear the pop-up flash housing and bayonet into
the mount/adapter, at least a 12mm extension tube must be already
mounted on the camera or adapter. The Oly 14mm tube works fine too, of
course. The only significant consequence is that the minimum extension
of the bellows increases from 36mm to at least 48mm. That may or may not
be a problem depending on the lens used and the application.

If the tab were cut down, the bellows would still not quite fit on a
300D. The back of the bellows body would still be blocked. It looks like
a 7mm tube might do it then, but I'm not modifying mine to find out. :-) "

>and despite what list members have said to also see if its possible to use
>the slide copier and take pictures of slides rather than scan.

I don't think anyone said it wouldn't be possible, rather that results
likely wouldn't be as good as from a decent film scanner. At least for
web use, they may well be fine. It's an interesting experiment.

Moose