[OM] Re: [Photo] Can I have your opinon?

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Can I have your opinon?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 01:51:43 -0800
Johan Malmstrom wrote:

>I have four photos that I would like hear your opinion on.

Opinions I got in plenty! :-)

>I can take strong critics... I would also like some hints on the technical
>side,
>what to think about when making the fine print and so on.
>
>Please look and respond! I like them, but then you should kill your
>darlings.
>
>1
><http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-12.jpg
>
><http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-12.jpg>>

I really like the idea of the composition overall.  As someone
mentioned, some more detail in the face would be good. As this is from a
B&W neg, I suspect the detail is still there in the neg. If it were
mine, I would tighten it, losing the half tree on the left and enough of
the top to lose the overhanging branches. This would also have the
benefit of cutting down on the out of focus far shore. For me, this pic
wouldn't be a winner because I don't find it the kind of image that
benefits from shallow DOF. The background should be resonably in focus
at least back to the rocks in the water(or whatever, hard to tell what
it is, maybe a robot with clunky arms wading across?) for me to really
like it.

>2
><http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-1.jpg
>
><http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-1.jpg>>

Well, you asked for strong criticism. just one person's opinion, but I
just don't like this one. It seems to me like it tries to be too many
things and just doesn't manage to be anything. The top 60% is both dark
and out of focus and the bottom 30% is out of focus. To make that work,
the focal point has to be very strong, and to me it isn't strong enough.
Also, the tree in the upper left, by having normal tonality and being in
focus next to the rest of the top, calls far too much attention to
itself, again pulling away from the primary subject. I take these too,
where what my eye sees doesn't end up having good light or enough DOF.

>3
><http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-2.jpg
>
><http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-2.jpg>>

Now this strikes me as a much better look at the same subject.
Unfortunately, composition is done in by insufficient DOF for my taste.
I think I might quite like it with some cropping and adjustments. The
far shore just looks dirty as it is. With some dodging in the darkroom
or PS, it might look nice, otherwise, the image is better off without
it. Likewise, the bottom has too big an area of undifferentiated
fuzziness, which I would crop out. With top and bottom crops, I would
also take some off the left side. If it is possible to find detail in
the highlights, esp. the middle right, I think that would add a lot.
Very quick and dirty and full of artifacts, but a rough sketch of what
I'm talking about <http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/PX040222-2a.jpg>. As I
left the lightened backgound in, I did a little sharpening to make it
look better. Sharpening is often necessary in scans of film where it
might not be needed in a darkroom print.

>4
><http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-27.jpg
>
><http://foto.johanmalmstrom.se/index.php?dnode=220&cat=vinter_skog&pict=PX040222-27.jpg>>

This one I really like. the sparkling water holds the center very well.
I love the snow covered rocks. Being largely in soft shadow makes their
vaguely anthropomorphic quality clear. The only thing I would do if it
were mine is try lightening the bottom shadowed part just a little.
Again, quick and dirty and not very subtle, both in one place so one may
flip between them original
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/PX040222-27.jpg> and altered.
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/PX040222-27a.jpg>

I sincerly hope this is helpful and not hurtful. I wish I could help you
with printing assistance, other than the suggestions some lightening and
some holding back to retain highlight detail, which could be done with
dodging and burning. I haven't done any wet darkroom work for decades.
Perhaps others will come to the rescue.

Moose