[OM] Re: E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs E300
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 22:13:19 +0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Moose" <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> If wide were important to me, I might have made a different choice, as
> well. Now there is the Sigma 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6 EX DG AF
> <http://www.popphoto.com/assets/download/0404_Sigma12-24mm.pdf>, for
> $670 at B&H. At 19-38mm eq. on a Can*n sensor, it covers WA pretty well,
> actually a little wider than the Oly 11-22. A little slow, but that
> doesn't matter so much on the Can*ns.

I have a few test shot with the Sigma and 20D, it was not that good at the
long end although at the wide end it is excellent. If anyone need the
original 20D RAW just tell me but it is 8MB each. I heard the Tokina 12-24
is better but still have to see the test report or make some tests with it
if there is chance. C*non also has a 10-22 which should be fine too. But I'm
going to purchase the Digital Zuiko fisheye, C*non has not announce one yet
unless I take the route of N*kon.

> Yes, we have quite different favorite subjects and styles. I just looked
> at the record of my last outing with an OM. The f-stops I recorded were
> 72% f8 and below:
> 2.8   x  2
> 3.8-4 x  5
> 8     x 12
> 11    x 11
> 5-5.6 x  2
> N/A   x  4
>
> Only for the 2 shots at f2.8 was the f-stop chosen to limit DOF. In some
> cases, I would have liked more DOF than I was able to get at a
> reasonable shutter speed for the lens focal length on a few. Some of the
> shots from this roll were part of my post on film profiline in Vuescan
> <http://galleries.moosemystic.net/VuesProf/>. You can see that too much
> DOF wasn't a problem.

Here is mine, the shots from my Europe trip last year, exposures are
recorded and exposure adjustment (PhaseOne) information are added too:

http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/E1.htm

Here is the problem of too much DOF with E-10:

http://www.accura.com.hk/E10.jpg

Here is a better one with 75-150 F4 OM4:

http://www.accura.com.hk/75150.jpg

It would have been great if I have brought my 100/2 at that day! Remember,
with a large aperture lens I can stop down if needed but with a F5.6 Zoom
I can do nothing, it is the limitation that I will avoid.

> Absolutely agree, but it is infinitely better than the built-in flash on
> the E-1.  :-) I don't really do any 'serious' flash to speak of. So I
> have yet to feel limited, although it's pretty clear where the limits
> are. On the other hand, the fill flash control is rather nice for casual
> people pics. With either camera, I would expect to pay for full function
> flash.

Without FP mode or a small power flash has little use to me, over 60% of the
family shots I taken in Europe last year were using flash, amoung them 80%
were in PF mode. If you can carry a SLR I don't see why you cannot bring a
flash. Unless you are talking about compact camera, for which built-in flash
are important. In the age of E-10, even it has a built-in flahs, I always
had a FL-40 inside my camera bag.

C.H.Ling