[OM] Re: E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] Re: E1 vs E300
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2005 08:23:23 -0700
C.H.Ling wrote:

>http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/E1.htm

 Someone mentioned stitching software as a way to simulate wide-angle
lenses -- and while I'll agree stitching software is great at times, I
use it mostly to get effects that I couldn't get with _any_ lens, not
just because I need an extra few mm on the wide end, and I have a big
pile of 360 degree panoramas from our trip that I've got to get around
to stitching together some day when I have a lot of spare time..

 Now that I try autostitch, though, maybe I don't need so much time
after all -- that's _amazing_. Thanks for the link! It's not perfect, it
tends to get confused by 360 degree panoramas, but it should do the
trick for most things. Here's another example; all I did here was tell
it which pictures to use and wait for the result:

 http://www.danielmitchell.net/pano1.jpg

 There's also some shots that you couldn't take even by stitching (or at
least that would be very tricky to get that way) --

 http://www.danielmitchell.net/gallery/albums/LakeMinnewanka/Beach.jpg

 for instance, or from C.H.'s photos,

 http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/EU/P8193403.html or
 http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/EU/P8173107.html

are good examples. (maybe the former if you were very careful with
camera position, but avoiding parallax problems when stitching interiors
is a very big hassle)

  Wide-angles don't just let you get more in shot (though that's often
useful), they give you a completely different perspective, which is
sometimes just what you want.

 -- dan