[OM] Camera grips, was E1 vs E300

Subject: [OM] Camera grips, was E1 vs E300
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 16:42:51 -0800 (PST)
> This area is so much dependent on individual physical
> characteristics and preferences.

I tend to agree with you there. I have long fingers, but average
palm. But I also have small wrists, hence the CTS like ailments.

> I'm very comfortable with the 300D without battery pack.

I can understand how some hands would be fine with it. It feels
awkward to me and doesn't allow my fingers to curl and hook
around the grip quite so nicely. Fingers 4 and 5 just don't find
homes. This, however, is true with almost all EOS bodies.  There
is an odd exception here and there. With a battery pack the 20D
could possibly feel ok.  The pro level nikons have almost always
felt near perfect, the D70 is *slightly* off, though, because of
the height and a reshaped grip.

> Using a D60 with battery pack, I very much disliked the extra
> bulk and weight.

But the D60 is already a pretty heavy body. With the battery
pack you're hauling around a few pounds. Just like the 1DS, it
can start taking on whale properties.

> >Just because the manufacturers have steered us in this
> direction doesn't mean that it's the best way.
> >
> Maybe they have hands more like mine than yours?  :-)

Ok, case in point:  The medium format cameras from the '70s and
'80s rarely had any form of grip. Other than the occasional
handmade or aftermarket gizmo, most 645 and 6x6 cameras were
variations of the cube theme. Ergonomically was this a good
idea?  I couldn't comfortably handhold them then and obviously
it ended up not being a good idea because nearly all medium
format cameras have evolved into a standard grip shape for the
right hand.  But to take up your argument, I must have been in
the minority because I personally couldn't handle the cameras
but thousands of others with more average hands than me
supposably could.  Or did they tolerate it because that's the
way things were and we didn't know any better?

Along this line of thought, maybe cramped, distant and small
viewfinders are an improvement for everybody?  Maybe I'm just
odd because I like to see a larger focusing screen that I can
focus on instead of just using it to frame a shot.

Is this a case where function follows form?  Do autofocus
systems have to keep getting better because viewfinders are
getting worse?  Do we need to improve instant review because you
have little to no confidence in the camera to have exposed,
focused or framed properly?

Olympus nailed ergonomics with the OM-1, OM-2. And I think they
did a fine job with the E-1 also.  Nikon, with the prolevel
equipment has generally nailed ergonomics too. Owners will
grouse about a lot of things with Nikon, but ergonomics and
controls are rarely among them.

I also held a Nikon D2H with some obscenely expensive
telephoto/zoom lens yesterday.  HEAVY!  But it felt soooooooo
right!  With my back, I couldn't carry it more than 250 meters,
though.  :(

Everything is a tradeoff. That, however, is exactly why I shoot
three different format. 35mm film, 4x5 film and digital. Someday
I'll be able to drop the first two.  I'm hoping that we can get
some maturity in the digital universe this year.

Nice discussion, Moose. Other than a few nits, I think the
DRebel is a fine camera and would serve most people, most of the
time, very well.  I, however, am an oddball.
AG

http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250