[OM] Re: What is old is new again

Subject: [OM] Re: What is old is new again
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 06:29:30 -0800 (PST)
> Maybe you should spend some
> quality time with a DSLR before dismissing them so completely.

Not meaning to start any arguments here.  My particular prosumer
is configured almost identically to any high-end DSLR. The only
exception is that out of preference I've made the front dial the
aperture control and the rear dial the shutter speed/exposure
compensation.

Any modern DSLR/SLR (and Minolta A-series) is a standard PASM
configuration typically with some form of matrix metering. Most
even allow you to push a button to lock in a single spot meter
reading.  The beauty in a DSLR (or highend prosumer) is the
histogram. The histogram is the logical next-generation
multispot metering system.  Just exposure compensate to protect
those highlights or shadows.  Pretty easy.

However, where the OM system shines is in controlled situations,
usually where the camera is tripod mounted, in which you want
absolute control over every aspect of the exposure.  No
multifunction controls, no press here, dial there, repeat,
repeat,...

As to the lack of aperture indication in the viewfinder, yeah I
guess, but the OM system is so second nature to me that I've
never missed it.

Oh, and ALL of my Zuikos are primes with the aperture ring
firmly ensconsced in the same place.

:)
AG

http://mail.yahoo.com