[OM] Re: What's so good about the Zuiko 50/2 ??

Subject: [OM] Re: What's so good about the Zuiko 50/2 ??
From: iwert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 12:52:14 +0100
I got this lens about a year ago.

Before that I used my 50f1.2 and a 90f2 a lot.
The 50f1.2 for standard lens, the 90f2 for macro.

Both are good lenses. But when I mounted the 50f2 I discovered that:

I personally don't need much working distance on a macro lens for the things I
like to photograph. The 50f2 handles way better than the 90f2, especially on a
manual body, where the shutter speed ring is obstructed by the aperture ring.
Result: the 90f2 got sold...

I like low light photography, and don't use flash. The f2 aperture is
sufficient to me for this. I almost never took my 50f1.2 anymore. Result: the
50f1.2 got sold...

I like to use a hood on my lenses, the 50f2 has one build in, greatly improving
contrast. It also is a big and hefty lens, which I started to like, since the
combo body+lens feels like a brick in my hands and improves stability.
considering the build in hood, it still is a compact lens.

The front lens is deaply recessed, and protected, so I don't use filters
(except a polarizer or ND). This can be seen in the results.

The aperture of f2 makes focussing on a 2-4 screen almost easier then
autofocus, also in darker conditions.

And Mike Johnston also likes this lens:
http://photosig.pcphotoreview.com/PRD_84390_3111crx.aspx

As some things can't be described in words, here are some images of our offices
little trip out two weeks ago: I kept it simple and only took the 50f2 with me:

<http://zuiko.fotopic.net/c404318.html>

Kodak T400CN + OM-3 + 50f2

(And it is fun to drive a quad and take some pictures at the same time)

For me a lens is not about lines/mm, but mostly about atmosphere and character,
the 50f2 has great character! However the 50f2 is the sharpest lens I own,
together with the 100f2.

The only thing which bothered me was that the distance scale ws in feet only -
as I am a full metric person. I now have one with the distance scale in meters,
and my photographic life has become perfect :). The feet is still available for
non-metric persons!

Iwert.