[OM] Re: What's so good about the Zuiko 50/2 ??

Subject: [OM] Re: What's so good about the Zuiko 50/2 ??
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 00:36:32 +1300
Hello all,

Thanks for passing on all the experience with the Zuiko 50/2.

It seems to me that many people value this lens for what it does as a non-
macro lens. Which is interesting, to say the least, since the lens was
apparently designed as a macro lens..

I remember somebody in the last 3 or so days (Walt? Winsor?), writing that
in their opinion, at apertures from 5.6 > 6.3 and on, there is little
difference in
definition between the f/2  and the f/3.5 macros; and I think this was in
reference to use as a macro lens. Does somebody else have critical
experience of the 50/2 as a macro lens?

I value objective measures such as lines per mm, since the personal opinion
factor is greatly reduced and you are getting close to facts.

Michael Reichmann's article is interesting, but it has to be seen mainly as
the subjective opinion of a very experienced photographer. He compares 13
lenses, but the pictures he presents us with make it impossible to compare
apples with apples. Instead of having the different lenses capture exactly the
same image so that their performance can be compared on an equal footing,
every image is of a different subject.

If the same image was used for each, there would be value in him providing
detailed comments on the finer and important points that illustrate weak or
strong points of lens performance. As it is, remarks such as pointing out that
a lens blows out highlights, are worth little since this"defect" can be caused
by other things such as exposure, printing etc, and one could never know
what thing contributed what "defect"..

It also looks as though all the shots were made hand-held, which is not a
good way to get optimum definition..

The review by Mike Johnston also hinted that its macro performance was
perhaps its weakest area of competence.

Unfortunately, I've never even seen one of these lenses, let alone tested one.

Sincerely,

Brian