[OM] Re: What's so good about the Zuiko 50/2 ??

Subject: [OM] Re: What's so good about the Zuiko 50/2 ??
From: "Daniel Sepke" <dan@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:21:17 -0500
I think that Iwert was just noting that the use of hoods in general improves
contrast. The 50 f2 has a very deeply recessed front element and has a hood
effectively built in. There is nothing mechanical stopping you attaching
another one of the front end. Though I am not sure it would necessarily
improve performance as its effective as is. If you have not seen the actual
lens it is rather like a scaled up version of the 50 f3.5. I recently got a
second one that is up you know where as we speak. My main one I have enjoyed
more recently since getting a T10 to use with it. For handheld ring flash
work it is probably only bettered by the 135 f4.5 (I believe Walt is
probably this lenses biggest voice here).

Dan S

From: olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:olympus-owner@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of John Hudson
Iwert wrote ...

snip

> I like to use a hood on my lenses, the 50f2 has one build in, greatly
improving contrast. It also is a big and hefty lens, which >I started to
like, since the combo body+lens feels like a brick in my hands and improves
stability. considering the build in >hood, it still is a compact lens.

For what reason does a built in hood greatly improve contrast [over a
properly fitting detachable hood?] or is it the case that this lens cannot
take a detachable hood?

John Hudson