[OM] Re: Problems (?) with an overhauled OM-4

Subject: [OM] Re: Problems (?) with an overhauled OM-4
From: b k <brtlmj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 07:08:11 -0800 (PST)
Hi everybody,

First of all, thank you for your help ! I knew this list would be a good place
to ask questions :-)

Let me give you a few more details about my camera and its problems. I think
there is an OM-4t circuit inside - battery drain is low, and in "battery check"
mode the beeper stops after 30 seconds. I guess it means that the meter should
not be as "jumpy" as the ones with earlier versions of the circuit, right ? In
my case, when metering in a sunlight, there always is one meter bar blinking,
and sometimes two. In an artificial light, especially fluorescent one, it gets
much worse. Same thing happens when metering in spot mode - the diamond usually
oscillates between two, and sometimes three neighboring positions.

But, the problem I originally described in point 2 is different. I was
referring to measurements that had already been made. Let's assume that I have
already pressed the SPOT button several times, and several diamonds are lit.
The one that represents current spot value will obviously move if I move the
camera, or oscillate as described earlier. But, diamonds representing previous
measurements should stay where they are, right ? In my case, they do not.
Sometimes the entire set moves to the left or right, or starts oscillating.
This is very erratic and does not happen all the time.

The problem described in point 3 is very consistent and can be reliably
reproduced for certain film speed / compensation settings. I managed to take a
few shots with a web cam to illustrate it better. Have a look here:
http://www.geocities.com/brtlmj/om-4.html
The first photo shows the situation with four spot measurements made and no
compensation. Indicated shutter speed is 1/30s. Then I used exposure
compensation: -1/3, -2/3 and -1 EV. As you can see on the next three photos,
the shutter speed increased first to 1/30+1/3, then to 1/30+2/3, and the
remained at 1/30+2/3, but... all four diamonds moved to the right. Strange,
isn't it ? I checked it the ASA dial moves when I use the compensation dial,
but it does not.

I am getting convinced that something is wrong with the camera, but want to
make sure that I am not unreasonable before I send it back. On the other hand,
I definitely want to get all I am entitled for, especially taking into account
than an OM-4 overhaul costs about twice as much in Europe as it does in the
US...

A question for Clint and John: would you ship a camera that behaves like this
one back to a customer as "overhauled" ?

Thanks !

Bartek.