[OM] Re: Camera prices and values/changed topic i think

Subject: [OM] Re: Camera prices and values/changed topic i think
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 08:04:50 -0400

Moose wrote:

> I still think proper damping technique, as Oly says, is at least as
> important as mirror/aperture lock-up, maybe more so. There is still that
> first curtain that flies across the frame and lands with a bang.
> Although fairly well damped, the energy has to go somewhere.  Not an
> issue at short shutter speeds, as it can only affect the last bit of the
> frame, and not for long, but that's not what I'm using when I need
> vibration control.

I have this theory that the shutter-motion-start-energy(??) doesn't make
much difference on the OM2000, since it travels vertically. So if the camera
is on a heavy solid tripod, it either has to lift whole affair, or sink it
into the ground/floor, a much harder thing to accomplish than sideways
motion, caused by all other OM shutters, especially on an extended center
column of a tripod. Okay, I know the mirror travels vertically as well. So
it's just a theory that anyone is welcome to shoot down.

> But, but, it doesn't sound like an OM,

Yup, agree 100%, and I hate the sound, but am making pics, not music.

> I've been keeping an 2000
> around more in hope I'll really need perfectly registered multiple
> exposures some day.

And can anyone explain why Olympus never added such a simple feature as a
sensible ability to do double exposures? :-) I suppose it's redundant now to
most who have photoshop.

> Actually, the OM-1(n) had one significant compromise vis a vis the best
> mechanical SLR of the day. The F2 (and the F? I just can't remember. )
> has a direct, mechanical action, sort of like the OM-1, but the Nik*n
> activates both mirror and diaphram. Maybe they dropped mirror lock-up
> alone on the OM-3 series because it didn't make much difference.

Yes, Gary's lens test results seem to show that the mirror lock up on the
OM1's has very little practical advantage, but it is another gadgety thing
to fiddle with and make one feel more professional I guess.

Wayne