[OM] Re: Level photography ;-), was [photo] Fall Mist

Subject: [OM] Re: Level photography ;-), was [photo] Fall Mist
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 13:28:48 +0000
Thanks Richard

I would have bought one of those little spirit level gizmos but for the
fact that the suppliers (in the UK) seem to think that their market
will stand ludicrous prices :-(,  The same goes for the little button
levels that will screw into the cable release thread on the shutter
button...

The feeling of slant vs an actual slant: I sometimes wonder whether to
worry about an apparent slant.  Most of the time I use the grid in PS
to check, but it does add a fair time to the processing of 200Mb files.
  Now if I were to scan at 4000dpi instead of 5400 the file would be
smaller and the rotation take less time.  Or perhaps I could rotate
after I have changed the file from 16bit to 8... decisions, decisions
;-)

Anyway, many of us enjoyed the photos notwithstanding this discussion
about the horizon ;-))

Chris

On 20 Nov 2004, at 13:00, Richard Lovison wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> Thanks for your comments.  You are correct in your observation that the
> left bank is higher than the right.  Also, the row of trees in the
> background slanted away from me and I believe that also adds to the
> feeling that the photo is off-level.  Wouldn't the top line as well as
> the bottom line of the trees converge as the distance increased?  In
> any case I still agree that the photo would improve if slightly
> rotated.
>
> A portable bubble level on the flash shoes helps me, sometimes just
> stepping away from the tripod and looking at its relationship to the
> terrain is enough for adjustment though the eye is always the final
> judge.
>
> Richard
<|_:-)_|>
C M I Barker