[OM] Re: OT Flat Bed Scanners DRAFT

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Flat Bed Scanners DRAFT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:35:19 -0800
Earl Dunbar wrote:

>Moose:  Thanks so much for that.  By the time I actually BUY something (I am
>notorious for making some of these decisions last for decades!), the question
>of which model may have to be rehashed all over again.

Sounds familiar, sort of like me....

>But I am also sometimes an impulse, as Ali will attest.

Been known to be that way too. In fact, I just was. I've been waffling
between a high-end flatbed for all film but special 35mm and a higer res
film scanner for the 35mm stuff.

After a LOT of reading and cogitating, I had come to the conclusion that
the Canon FS4000 is probably the best 4000+ dpi 35mm film scanner for
any reasonable price. Balancing all the issues of focus ease/accuracy,
overall sharpness, quality of dust/scratch removal vs. image sharpness,
effective DMax etc., it seems the best deal to me. Then C.H. confirmed
one of my suspicions about the CoolScan 4000, flare problems. So I've
been keping track of FS4000 auctions, and here comes one with an Adaptec
2930 and SCSI cable, and I put in a snipe at what I would think is a
good price with those add-ons, but expect to be out bid, and..... Well,
anyway, I'll have something to play with while all the 4870, 9950F and
Vuescan stuff settles out. Maybe I'll just make do with an Epson 3170
for the MF stuff.

I know some people on the list may be looking for a great modest priced
film scanner. I expect my Can*n FS2710 to be for sale soon. It is a
first rate 2720 dpi scanner, as I think you know if you have looked at
the many images I've posted from it. I'm upgrading not because of any
problem with it, but because I have these perfectionist Techie issues
and want more dpi, even if I don't "need" it. It is SCSI only (and
fairly fast as a result) and will come with the SCSI adapter that Can*n
packaged with it. I know from experience that it works well with Win98
and XP Pro, so should be fine with anything in between. I don't know
about Mac use. Price to list will be low end of recent *Bay sales.
Contact off-list if interested.

Thanks,
   Moose