[OM] Re: OT Flat Bed Scanners DRAFT

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Flat Bed Scanners DRAFT
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 18:25:56 -0800
Earl Dunbar wrote:

>Well yes, the expectations could be unrealistic, and I am especially desirous
>of a scanner that does 4x5 (w/ 120 as an added bonus).  I'll have to follow
>this to see if Canon comes through.

The other current alternative is the Epson 4870, which will scan 2 4x5s
at one pass. The review of the 4870 by the same reviewer was very
positive <http://www.photo-i.co.uk/index.html>. He has bought one for
his own use.

In addition, he is working on a review of VueScan and had this to say in
a post Friday:

"I have since tried VueScan on the Epson 4870 and the difference is
spectacular to say the least. Images which were soft using Epson Scan
software now look terrific via VueScan. This may answer your question
regarding sharpness. There is a trade off in scanning speed, but if it
produces better scans then I don't mind waiting the extra minute here
and there."

Not trying to knock the 9950F or push the 4870. It's just that I'm going
through the choice process too, and have been investigating alternatives.

Moose