[OM] Re: BW Paper revisited part II

Subject: [OM] Re: BW Paper revisited part II
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2004 06:37:12 -0700 (PDT)
> I also have never tried Tmax 100 with Tmax developer, must do
> that one
> day.  I usually develop it in ID-11 (the Ilford D-76 clone) at
> 1:3 dilution
> and get good reults.  Never tried xtol simply because I've
> never seen it in
> the shops.

Tmax developer gives Tmax 100 a huge straight-line section. D76
and variants tend to bump the curves a bit.  On the Kodak
website, they have a bunch of tonal curves listed, showing how
the films respond to different development.

Several years ago, when I restarted the darkroom, I seriously
considered the Tmax route--especially considering that the bulk
of my B&W was shot on TMX.  I went with the Ilford system
instead, because of the push/pull processing and the single
developer for all film types. Tmax developer is horrid stuff for
anything other than Tmax films.

> >What's a good non Ilford 400 speed + developer combo?
> Tri-X in D-76, nuff said...

This is the classic of all classics. The tonal curves are simply
the best.  However, the grain can eat you alive.  There is a
distinctive grain characteristic to Tri-X that is highly
identifiable in prints.  I personally prefer a more subtle look.

AG

http://messenger.yahoo.com