[OM] Re: BW Paper revisited part II

Subject: [OM] Re: BW Paper revisited part II
From: Matt Boland <mattb@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 10:38:36 +1000
AG Schnozz wrote:

> I would suggest several things to try.  Tmax 100 (my preference
> is Tmax developer for it) is really good stuff.  Kodak did
> change a few characteristics over the years of Tmax and it is a
> fantastic film.  The response curve has a huge straight-line
> section and a very tight shoulder and toe.  I find it to be very
> easy to print with and there are no tonal seperation problems.
> With the Tmax developer you can easily do N+1, N-1 development.
> My only grouse is that Tmax doesn't push/pull very well as
> compared to the Deltas.

I agree. Tmax 100 is my fave B&W film. I haven't tried it in Tmax
developer yet, but I'm going to give it a try. I've only had a darkroom
for about a year, so I'm not sure what you mean by N+1, N-1. Also, how
does xtol and Tmax 100 perform? (Through an OM1 and 4T of course, just
so there's OM content here!) Also, Tmax 100 seems to have a red
anti-halation layer which takes some washing. Someone told me that if I
saw red wash water I was not fixing properly. What's your thoughts, Ag?

> No, I personally cannot stand Tmax 400 (TMY).  It's among the
> worst films of all time.

I've found the same. I didn't try too many developers, because I just
hated it. What's a good non Ilford 400 speed + developer combo?

--
Matt Boland (BEng)                  Phone  : 61 7 5594 9824
R&D Engineer                        Mobile : 61 4 0835 1421