[OM] Re: Zoom

Subject: [OM] Re: Zoom
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Oct 2004 12:20:07 -0700
Perhaps folks need to read what you have said you need more carefully.
Suggestions for 35-xxmm sooms keep coming in when you have said you need
28mm.

But we also need a little more info. You mention handling, but don't say
anything more. Does one touch vs. two touch make a significant
difference to you? You mention "faster is better", but don't say any
more. What speed do you really want/need? I assume you are using flash,
TTL OTF? You say you got great results from the 35-70/3.6, so do you
need anything faster? Can you say what you didn't like about the 35-70/3.6?

When you need 28mm, a lot of great zooms slip away and the choices
narrow. In addition to the Tokina AT-X 28-85/3.5-4.5 AT-X, there is a
Tokina RMC 28-85/4. It is slightly bigger and heavier than the AT-X and
both are bigger and heavier than the 35-70/3.6, but of course have
greater zoom range. The RMC offers slightly better optical performance
than the AT-X, both in wide open resolution and contrast in general, but
takes larger filters and doesn't focus as close. If using OTF-TTL, it
doesn't matter, but with auto flash using the sensor on a flash, the
constant aperture makes a difference. Also, of course, if flash reach is
a problem, the RMC is faster than the AT-X at 85mm. Both lenses are
tested on Gary's site
<http://members.aol.com/olympusom/lenstests/default.htm>.

I happen to have the RMC Tokina 28-85/4 that I would sell rather cheap
'cause I find I just don't use it. It's a lovely lens in excellent
condition. The 72mm filter size is fine with me, too as I have that size
for other lenses anyway. I do lean toward the longer end, so my 35-xxx
.lenses get all the work. And the real deal breaker for me ended up
being the close focus of  just under 2.5 ft., about .6m. No problem for
people stuff, but doesn't fit my style of photography. One interesting
thing about it is that the outer housing with the filter threads doesn't
move when zooming and the front elements move back for longer focal
lengths, so with a wide angle rubber hood I put on it, it works sort of
like the 35-70/3.6, with the hood coverage adjusting partially for focal
length.

Moose