[OM] Re: 50/1.2

Subject: [OM] Re: 50/1.2
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2004 15:45:00 -0300

> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, John Hermanson wrote:
> >
> > I don't know anything about Canadian Mail  procedures, so you'd have to
> > check that out from your side. Nothing unusual happens as far as me
being
> > able to receive it.  Canadian packages are just delivered with the rest
of
> > the mail.
>
> On return of the item taxes will be charged based on the declared/insured
> value of the item.  The receiver will have to pay those taxes up front and
> then file to get them back based on the fact that it was an item that was
> sent out for repair.  Revenue Canada will of course not refund the full
> amount because they will charge tax (7% GST) on your labour fee (justified
> by the fact that a Canadian should have done the work instead of you.
Sheesh!).
> It'll also take a couple of months to get any refund.
> -mark

I carried mine (not an OM, but a Yash*ca Mat) across the border, mailed it
from the US, then had it returned to a US address, and carried it back. Of
course I can do this because I live close to the border, and I'm in the US
at least once a week. Otherwise, it's a real pain and can be expensive,
depending on the mood of the customs person that particular day.
Wayne