[OM] Re: OM-3 Really Trivial Question

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-3 Really Trivial Question
From: GMcGrath@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 19:47:28 EDT
Martyn,

Welcome to our group!

There's a small screw visible in the recess on the top of the rewind knob
when you lift the crank up. If you remove this lock-down screw, you can then
unscrew the rewind crank assembly from the top of the rewind shaft. Be careful
how
you hold onto the rewind fork inside the film chamber when you loosen the
crank assembly so you don't bend the fork. Once you've removed the crank
assembly, there's a disk underneath that has the "spring" elevated from it.
This may
be upside down or you may be able to tighten the spring action with a little
judicious bending. Then reassemble in reverse order.

I had to remove the crank assembly on a recent acquisition to line the crank
knob up with the cutout for it that is in the same disk that functions as the
spring. This is a really simple repair. I wouldn't recommend working on
anything very technical, but most photographers can handle this one. Of course,
if
the spring is broken or damaged, you'll have to find another one.

HTH,
Greg

PS  Mark Dapoz has done us all a great service by putting several Olympus
service manuals and a wealth of other publications on his Web site:
http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/. There are diagrams of the OM-4 in the
service
manuals, which is identical to the OM-3 in the area we're discussing here.