[OM] Re: E-300 ponderings, the new Pen-F?

Subject: [OM] Re: E-300 ponderings, the new Pen-F?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:42:48 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>I really don't think that camera manufacturers see that as a problem.

Then why do the new Nik*n Prosumers have 2.0, and the *istDS, Pentax's
lower price point entry, and the D70, where the D100 only has 1.1? It
makes a real difference and Oly is on the trailing edge right in the
sector where they need to be competitive. And Can*n has already opdated
the 1D, 1Ds and 20D, how long do you think it will be before the 300D Mk
II or 400D comes along?

>USB 1.0 is fast enough to control the camera with software and I don't
>think that they see anyone with their professional camera

The E-300 is a pro camera?? The E-1, the Pro model, already has USB 2.0
and Firewire.

>tying it up doing a download or not using a card reader.

It's exactly the poor schmucks who buy the entry level camera, made an
affordable alternative to a prosumers by the new cheaper, slower lenses,
who won't have multiple big CF cards or fast separate card readers.

Sorry to be so negative. I really still want Oly to get it right and
succeed in the DSLR market. The E-300 has a lot going for it and shows a
spark of the old Oly originality. I just don't want to see them shoot
themselves in the foot by missing on the details. I would likely have an
E-1 instead of a 300D if the E-1 just had a little pop-up flash like
everybody else. No, it's not "pro", but it's really useful and everybody
else seems to know that. Now the E-300 has a flash and other cool
things, but is out of sync on an important usability issue. If the
sensor isn't any better in noise than the E-1, and the new lenses aimed
at E-300 buyers are slower, why not just chop off the shutter speeds at
1/2000? Like dropping a useless 3200 iso, it is a feature difference
without actually making the camera harder to use. In a camera where you
never want to use an iso above 200 if you can help it and can't get
caught with fast film on a bright day, where do you need 1/4000? But you
have to download every keeper image.

Moose