[OM] Re: WTT 50f1.2 for 55f1.2

Subject: [OM] Re: WTT 50f1.2 for 55f1.2
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 15:07:27 -0700
Well, this is the first time I've ever wished I had a 55/1.2. You really
want to trade one of the best 50mm lenses Oly made for a strictly middle
of the road lens? You already own the successor to the SC,
non-radioactive 55/1.2. It was replaced by the 50/1.2 rather than simply
becoming MC. Now why would Oly go to all that trouble? Unless the old
design just wasn't up to their later standards.....

If a loss of perceived sharpness (a mixture of resolution, contrast & ?)
doesn't bother you or is desireable, this might be a good move. But
consider too the issue of focusing. No matter how wonderful a lens is
stopped down, you focus at full aperture. If a lens is both soft and low
contrast wide open, it can be difficult to focus accurately. And no,
focusing stopped down doesn't help, because the greater DOF then makes
accurate focusing difficult. The problem will, of course, be worse in
low light, the very situation one wants a fast lens for.

If you've been reading Gary's lens tests and looking just at resolution,
note the 50/1.2 rates moderately high contrast at f1.2 and the 55/1.2 is
moderately low.

Moose