[OM] Re: New Lens To Me Also - Schneider

Subject: [OM] Re: New Lens To Me Also - Schneider
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 21:25:33 -0500
(a) It's made by Schneider-Kreuznach which specializes in very high end
lenses for medium format, large format and projection.

(b)  Schneider is leveraging on their MF lens expertise in creating this
one for 35mm small format . . . the image circle projected by a 35mm small
format PC lens is about the same as would be needed to cover a medium
format film plane.

(c)  This particular lens for 35mm has a focal length of about 30mm placing
its focal length between the more common 35mm and 24mm PC lenses.  If
you're going to have only one, 30mm is a good focal length and this one
maintains a relatively fast f/2.8 aperture (for PC lenses).  I have the
Zuiko 35/2.8 PC and there have been a few occasions in tight urban spaces
that its focal length is too long for what I originally desired
(visualized) forcing me to visualize something else that will work within
its focal length limitations.  OTOH I have a Mamiya Sekor 50mm PC for my
M645 medium format system the angle of view for which equates to roughly
30mm for 35mm small format.  It has been able to do something in those
tighter spaces.

I haven't been able to find any lens testing on this one.  However, the
Schneider's made for the MF Rolleiflex SLR's typically score in the upper
"3" to low "4" range on Photodo which very, very hard to do.  Their overall
lens-making reputation within their targeted niche markets runs a very
close second to Carl Zeiss and IMHO they're the #2 World Class lens
manufacturer (Carl Zeiss = #1).  Some of their lenses are better performers
than others, but I've never heard of Schneider making any mediocre
ones.  The Schneider Xenotar and Xenar formulations are on the same par
optically as the Carl Zeiss Planar and Tessar lenses respectively.

-- John Lind

At 08:25 PM 9/22/04, Ali wondered: