[OM] Re: which slide film?

Subject: [OM] Re: which slide film?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:38:23 -0700
Winsor Crosby wrote:

>I think there is an assumption going on that a 100 or 200 percent view
>of an image detail is significant and what you will see on a print.

That's one reason I did both big and little comparisons. Most prints
won't show even all the detail in the E-1 image, let alone the
film/scanner image.

>It is standard procedure to sharpen an image till it looks a little "crunchy"
>before printing because the printing process softens the image. In addition,
>many of the glaring differences we are talking about will disappear when you
>choose 150 to 250 dpi printing resolution.

That's not always my experience. In 8x10s anyway, I seem to pretty much
get on the print what I see on the screen, at least in sharpening. Of
course, it depends on individual ideas of what "crunchy" is.

Moose