[OM] Re: which slide film?

Subject: [OM] Re: which slide film?
From: Wayne S <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 13:32:31 -0400
At 03:39 AM 9/14/2004, Moose wrote:
>Beyond the lower hassle level of getting the image ready to view/print,
>there is simply a different "look" to images from the 2 sources. Take a
>look at the front stone facade of the Farmacia in my samples. The
>greater sharpness of the scanned image and the grain combine to make it
>look less appealing to me than the E-1 image in both sizes. In the case
>of the big sign on the front, if I look close, I can see the sharpening
>artifacts in the enlarged E-1 image and that the other is actually
>sharper. But in the smaller images and if I sit back in my chair so the
>sharpening artifacts aren't obvious, I like the appearance of the E-1
>image better. There is a sort of smoother, less granier look to the E-1
>image. It's not as sharp, but has other endearing qualities. Come to
>think of it, that's true of people in a lot of cases.

You saved me the work of up-sampling and comparing, thanks.
However...

I think image sharpening at the right viewing distance can make any
image "appear" better, but in all these examples, the film looks more
realistic and better to me. I like the texture in the wall rather than
the splotchy look of the digital. And I especially like the film
version of the neon signs and the lights.

To me the neon sign is not related to spectral sensitivity of digital
versus film, but simply better resolution in the film shot. The film
does exhibit some blooming, but my experience with the LS-4000 scanner
is that the scanner may be the culprit. Only CH can look at the slide
and tell us for a fact. I had an underexposed RHP (Provia 100) shot of
a horse with white stripe on the nose. The film showed no blooming, but
the Nikon scan of the slide did. Again, the film disadvantage is the
intermediate step of scanning, which introduces its own problems.

I'm not sure how much sharpening you applied in these examples, but to
my eyes it is too much. But my eyes, after editing many images, can
spot sharpening effects quickly. It is like using too much base boost
on the stereo. Sounds impressive, but gets tiring after a while. (Too
much sharpening is like the unavoidable overshoot you get in a sharp
brick wall filter, for those with EE backgrounds.) Then again, I'm always
setting the base and treble to a flat response.

Wayne