[OM] Re: Weight loss

Subject: [OM] Re: Weight loss
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 18:21:22 -0300

On Aug 7, 2004, at 2:27 AM, Moose wrote:

> I can't imagine going that far away for that long without one fast
> lens and some kind of macro or semi macro capability. One can carry a
> partial kit sometimes, a different partial kit other times and the
> whole kit and kaboodle occasionally. I would for sure have the 50/1.4
> and 2x macro teleconverter, even if it weren't part of my regular kit.

At the moment, I'm leaning to a 3 lens kit, 24/2.8, 35/2 and 85/2 plus
2x converter. The weight isn't that much of a difference between my 2
converters so the 2x macro may make it's way back into the kit. I may
also throw in the 50 as well as it is such a small and lightweight lens
but the speed requirement isn't as big a draw with this kit as it only
gets me 1 extra stop of speed so it's not a huge difference. Granted,
it is such a small lens that it may turn into a "may as well" item.

In terms of splitting up the kit, this is definitely doable while I'm
in Laos. However, I plan to travel afterwards (for as much as 6 months)
and then I'll be more likely to carry the whole kit with me for longer
periods of time (if not all the time due to security concerns). So I
want a kit that I can carry around for prolonged periods of time.

> Do you have any idea what light conditions are going to be like? If
> the area is heavily forested and/or there is a lot of cloud cover much
> of the time, I would go for speed in most of the kit. If it will be
> open and sunny more often than not, one can get by with just a fast
> 50mm and slower, lighter (longer ratio for zooms) other lenses.

I think it's mainly going to be sunny as I'll be there during the dry
season. However, with my 3 (or 4) lens kit outlined above, I still have
good speed for shooting indoors, in heavily forested areas and on
cloudy days.

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/