[OM] Re: C-5060 Photos

Subject: [OM] Re: C-5060 Photos
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 16:11:55 -0500
At 07:23 PM 8/7/2004 +0100, Chris you wrote:

>Pretty good Joel!  The building shot seems to have exaggerated colour
>to me, although I am prepared to believe that my monitor is set
>differently.  On the other hand, not all your previous shots, nor that
>of the orchid (gorgeous) give me the same feeling.

Here's what I think about the exaggerated color (have to correct your
spelling, sorry, as we're not French anymore --hehehe):  everything goes
towards preserving the highlights in the building, which are
considerable.  This leaves the lower level a bit underexposed.  What I
notice with this camera is that underexposure results in that kind of
over-saturation, especially in the greens.  (I've just spend the better
part of an hour trying to fix a shot of my son with his camp buddies.  I
didn't reset the spot meter from the previous session and took a series of
shots which were all completely metered wrong, in this case underexposed.)

It also employs that technique disclosed on-list last night of using USM to
affect contrast.  Perhaps I overdid it, particularly in combination with
the underexposure.  Anyway, good eye on that one, flyboy.  Another thing to
keep in mind (sigh) ...

>In addition, it is plain to me that you are no longer feeling down
>about your photography ...
>
>Chris

I will return to the shadows ere long.  I have to say I feel more confident
about shooting good old OMs than Camedias at the moment.  Off to pick up
some print film from the lab. Perhaps that will improve this day.

Joel W.