[OM] Re: C-5060 Photos

Subject: [OM] Re: C-5060 Photos
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 2004 15:05:32 -0500
Hi Wayne,

At 12:06 PM 8/8/2004 +1000, you wrote:
> > In lieu of a "daily fragment," here are a couple photos made with the
> > C-5060.  I hoped it might be interesting to see something at
> > its widest
> > setting, since I think that's the 5060's raison d'etre, but I've also
> > included a photo made at the "supermacro" setting, which is
> > very much like
> > working with a 50 macro in terms of working distance.  (But I
> > don't think
> > "supermacro" is unique to the 5060 ...)
> >
>http://soli.inav.net/~jdub/day/5060.html
>

>I like the images Joel, but what is it with architects these days ?
>Looks like just about every new building has to be covered with a
>reflective metal surface.  The "Advanced Technology Center" looks like a
>barn wrapped in aluminium foil !
>
>...Wayne

This building you love or hate.  I am fascinated by it  1) because it was
actually built at all and  2) because of what the architect pulled off.

The "Advanced Technology Center" was a classic boondoggle in many ways.  A
university president set as a strategic goal that this university would
become a leader in laser technology in the late 1980's.  He coaxed the
state legislature into seeding $25M for the project and a goal was to lure
the greatest and brightest minds to work in this building as a joint
venture of the departments of chemistry and physics and the College of
Engineering.  Few were lured into this half-baked plan.

The building was dubbed the "laser center" at its inception/conception and
that name still lingers with some around here.  The architecture is utterly
discordant to everything else you find at the university.  I think your
description is quite apropos.  May I steal it?  The architect, reportedly,
never came to look at it because in the end when it became apparent that
the "laser center" idea was never going to take off, the money people
emasculated the plan to cheapen the project.  The building is used for some
research, a few classrooms, and storage.

I'll post other photos of it.  It's a real mad scientist's building all right.

Joel W.