[OM] Weight loss

Subject: [OM] Weight loss
From: Andrew Dacey <frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 14:28:10 -0300
Recently, I had the chance to try out my planned kit for my trip to
Laos and I've come to the conclusion that it's too heavy. Here's what I
was carrying:

2 OM-1Ns
24/2.8
35/2
50/1.4
Tamron 90/2.5 macro
200/4
Vivitar macro focusing 2x tele-converter

Now for the actual trip, I'm planning to take the 85/2 instead of the
90/2.5 so that will shave off some weight right there, I just need to
get the 85/2 fixed (aperture blades are starting to stick) so that's
why I wasn't carrying it that day. I also have a Sigma 2x converter
which is about 90g lighter than the Vivitar so I think I'll make that
swap as well.

I'm trying to figure out what changes to make to cut down the weight
further. I've contemplated dropping the 200/4 as I could still get a
170/4 with the 85/2 and converter but then I really don't have anything
longer if needed.

The other thought is to go with a 135/3.5 instead of the 200/4. The big
question then is if the 135/3.5 is also too close to the 85/2 and could
replace that as well. That would certainly cut down the weight but I'm
a bit concerned about the loss of speed (270/7 with the converter) and
if I lose the 85/2 then it's a bit of a jump from 50 right up to 135.

I don't currently own any zooms and I'm a little bit loathe to use the
"z" word (zoom, not Zuiko). One of the main reasons I moved to the OM
system from C*n*n was to get away from zooms. But I start thinking that
a 35-70 or 35-80 could replace 3 lenses (or at least 2 if I decided to
still take the 50 to have something faster). Theoretically, I could get
a 35-70 and 75-150 to cover most of the range I'm looking at, throw in
the 24 and that's a pretty small 3 lens kit. Even with the 50 it's not
that much more size or weight.

But again, I'm a little bit concerned about the quality and the loss of
speed. Not to mention having to buy more gear just before I go away.

Any advice?

Andrew "Frugal" Dacey
frugal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.tildefrugal.net/