[OM] Re: Weight loss

Subject: [OM] Re: Weight loss
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 22:27:39 -0700
Andrew Dacey wrote:

>I don't currently own any zooms and I'm a little bit loathe to use the
>"z" word (zoom, not Zuiko). One of the main reasons I moved to the OM
>system from C*n*n was to get away from zooms.

I really like zooms for travel kits. Of course, some aren't very good,
but many are very good lenses.

>But I start thinking that a 35-70 or 35-80

The 35-70/3.5-4.5 is a very good lens that is tiny and light, but not
too fast. The 35-80/2.8 is a world class lens that is fast, big, heavy
and expensive. They are wildly different animals. The first could help
your weight problem, the second might make it worse. The little one has
so-so close focus and the big one has crummy close focus.

> could replace 3 lenses (or at least 2 if I decided to still take the 50 to
> have something faster).

I can't imagine going that far away for that long without one fast lens
and some kind of macro or semi macro capability. One can carry a partial
kit sometimes, a different partial kit other times and the whole kit and
kaboodle occasionally. I would for sure have the 50/1.4 and 2x macro
teleconverter, even if it weren't part of my regular kit.

>theoretically, I could get a 35-70 and 75-150 to cover most of the range I'm
>looking at, throw in the 24 and that's a pretty small 3 lens kit. Even with
>the 50 it's not that much more size or weight.

Do you have any idea what light conditions are going to be like? If the
area is heavily forested and/or there is a lot of cloud cover much of
the time, I would go for speed in most of the kit. If it will be open
and sunny more often than not, one can get by with just a fast 50mm and
slower, lighter (longer ratio for zooms) other lenses. If, for example,
I was going to spend time in rain forest, I'd probably take the Tamron
asp 35-105/2.8, 28/2 or Tokina 24-40/2.8 and 200/4. For predominatly
bright conditions, I might go with the 35-105/3.5-4.5, 28/2 or 24/2.8
and 200/5. Or maybe Vivitar 19-35/3.5-4.5 and Tokina AT-X 35-200/3.5-4.5
or a similar lens.

Moose