[OM] Re: Doing it RAW

Subject: [OM] Re: Doing it RAW
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 19:15:28 -0700
 From the bythom.com site:

Using Sharpening to Change Contrast

Here's something I hadn't noticed before. Then one day I made
accidentally entered some "stupid" values into the Unsharp Mask filter
and noticed a change to the image that was interesting. So I did some
research. It seems that a number of digital cogniscenti have been using
the Unsharp Mask to make slight bumps in image contrast. It's really
quite simple to do: just select a low value for Amount (10-25%), a very
high value for Radius (200-300 pixels), and a 0 Threshold. This
technique actually produces a more likeable contrast boost, in my
opinion, than does the Contrast command. Just be sure to save a version
of your image before using this technique (it's not undoable at a later
date). You also perform this action prior to doing a "real" sharpening.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA