[OM] Doing it RAW

Subject: [OM] Doing it RAW
From: Joel Wilcox <jowilcox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:17:17 -0500
I continue to learn the C-5060.  I've now got a plug-in raw converter
working in PS 5.5.  This converter provides three options:

1) the really naked, raw image (requires me to do EVERY aspect of
post-processing possible: gamma, WB through tint fixes, curves, shake 'n
bake, etc.),

2) conversion with color conversion and WB (optional):  seems to require
just gamma adjustment in levels, or possibly curves or both.  This setting
gives you the ability to set a white point, though the image is so small
and murky it would be very difficult to use in most cases.

3) conversion plus auto (does it all for you)

#3 makes the image look just like you used auto WB in the camera:  might be
OK but might not -- a crap shoot

#1 is not my idea of fun

This leaves #2, which I think is what I want.  If I use a white card to set
a custom WB in the camera, and then if I DON'T set a white point in the
converter, it appears that what comes through is a reasonable approximation
of what I saw.  The key thing I think is NOT attempting to set a white
point in the converter but doing that sort of thing at the point of capture.

Am I on the right track here?

These WB issues are not so critical most of the time, but I occasionally
photograph my wife's orchids against a black or gray background.  That may
provide a black but not necessarily a true white, so I can't use anything
other than a reading off a white card.  With #2 above I seem to get what I
want with simple levels adjustments, I think because I have done my work in
the camera.  Or did I just get lucky?  (I do strive to be lucky ...)

BTW I'm really enjoying this camera.  I can make a print from a capture in
raw mode that looks almost as good as a print from a slide scan.  I'm sure
this is a statement more about my skills at present than the media.  So far
the flexibility of both the exposure and AF settings meets my needs.

Joel W.