[OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 2004 10:47:10 -0700
Just a few thoughts. The reason there are focus assist lights is that
no one has figured out how to autofocus in the dark. I can understand
why people don't like the lamps and I have mine turned off too, but to
do it as a blanket practice and then complain about how badly it works
with the assist tool provided by the maker turned off seems maybe a
little perverse?

I have a D100 and its focus system is not as good as that in a D1X or
D2H. So you work with it. With almost all AF cameras with multiple
focus points the center one is most powerful in dim light and will
focus on horizontal and vertical detail.  It really is no adjustment at
all coming from an OM4T with a centered split image/microprism focus
aid to set the center focus point on an AF camera as the only active
one. Place your subject in center, mash the shutter release down half
way, reframe and push the shutter release down the rest of the way. It
will lock focus in near darkness that way.

Viewfinders are small because the sensors are small. A full frame
sensor camera like an EOS 1Ds has a large bright finder. Makers can
magnify the field of view through the eyepiece, but that makes it
dimmer. Only so much light to go around. And only a ground glass with
no focus aid. But some people opted for ground glass only focusing on
this list with their OMs because they felt it was more accurate that
than the focus with the split image or microprism. The other focus
issue is slow lenses. Most people opt for a slow zoom on their digital
camera which would not exactly snap into focus on a 35mm SLR. Pop a 1.4
or 1.8 lens on your digital and you might be surprised how easy it is
to focus manually.

Winsor
Long Beach, CA
USA