[OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:20:33 -0400
At 01:47 PM 8/1/2004, you wrote:

>Just a few thoughts. The reason there are focus assist lights is that
>no one has figured out how to autofocus in the dark. I can understand
>why people don't like the lamps and I have mine turned off too, but to
>do it as a blanket practice and then complain about how badly it works
>with the assist tool provided by the maker turned off seems maybe a
>little perverse?

II was not complaining about the E-1 auto-focus. Actually I was
indirectly praising the E-1 viewfinder and complained that viewfinder
performance in general is not something you can easily discern from a
camera spec. I turn off the auto-focus assist in a blanket way fully
knowing the limitations, and I have *no* complaints. I turn it on in
cases were I needed the speed, but most of the time I can make due with
manual focus tweaking because the E-1 viewfinder is a relatively good
one - that is, I can see for myself what is in focus. Moose complained
about the auto-focus hunting with the 50-200, and slower performance
with low EV compared to other cameras, not me.

My point was simply that all auto-focus algorithms have their limits
such that being able to manual focus is important. It is the camera's
choice of focus I need to see, through a good viewfinder, and over-ride
when necessary, which has nothing to do with the auto-focus assist
light. Examples: macro, a small bird through lots of branches, cases
where I am anticipating focus at a certain point, focusing on the
surface of the water rather than under it, focusing on water spray
rather than the subject. etc. all cases where the auto-focus makes the
wrong choice, not because the assist light is off. Whenever there are
multiple good focus targets, the camera makes a choice and it might not
be my choice.

Wayne