[OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.

Subject: [OM] Re: Thoughts on IS - and a Confession.
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2004 22:19:42 -0700
W Shumaker wrote:

>I was not complaining about the E-1 auto-focus. Actually I was
>indirectly praising the E-1 viewfinder and complained that viewfinder
>performance in general is not something you can easily discern from a
>camera spec.

Agreed. Worse, the subjective opinions of reviewers don't always agree
with one's experience. Worse yet, it's hard, even in this very major
metro area, to find one place where several brands and models can be
compared at once without a major expedition.

>...., but most of the time I can make due with
>manual focus tweaking because the E-1 viewfinder is a relatively good
>one - that is, I can see for myself what is in focus. Moose complained
>about the auto-focus hunting with the 50-200, and slower performance
>with low EV compared to other cameras, not me.

Yup, that was me.

>My point was simply that all auto-focus algorithms have their limits
>such that being able to manual focus is important. It is the camera's
>choice of focus I need to see, through a good viewfinder, and over-ride
>when necessary, which has nothing to do with the auto-focus assist
>light. Examples: macro, a small bird through lots of branches, cases
>where I am anticipating focus at a certain point, focusing on the
>surface of the water rather than under it, focusing on water spray
>rather than the subject. etc. all cases where the auto-focus makes the
>wrong choice,

I agree with all that. I just think it should be able to make up its
mind about what choice it is going to make fairly promptly, so I can
decide whether I agree or not. That is also handy when there isn't time
for manual focus using those tiny, less that brilliant, little
viewfinders that optical physics sticks us with on all these small
sensor cameras.

Here's looking forward to Winsor's projection of cheap full frame
sensors and the return of decent size and brightness viewfinders. VERY
big improvements in EVF might do the job some day, too. How about
amplifying light pipes, any of you young techies want to make a fortune?

Moose