[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 08:16:21 -0700
The size of the card depends on how you shoot. I get about a hundred
shots on a 1 gig card shooting raw with my D100. On the other hand when
I took my Costa Rican trip two 512MB sufficed to store all shooting for
almost two weeks on my 5MP 5700 in jpeg fine.

If you shoot jpeg most of the time and you probably will because of the
write time for a raw image you do not need a lot of storage. However
everyone shoots lots more pictures than they did with film. My advise
on the card is that unless you intend to shoot raw all the time the
extra cost for an 80X is not worth it. It would really be better to
have two slightly slower cards of 512. You will not notice the speed
difference.  A spare in case one fails. Rare, but it happens.

Raw vs. jpeg: while you may be able to extract the ultimate quality
possible from a raw image because the file will stand up better to post
processing, if you are used to nailing your exposure most of the time
with color slide film, you should be able to shoot fine quality jpeg
with almost no difference in the appearance of the final image. Then
you do not have to worry about much post processing, extra storage for
a trip like a lap top or large expensive, super fast CF cards.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA