[OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners

Subject: [OM] Re: Q. for E-1 Owners
From: "Wilcox, Joel F" <joel-wilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:59:26 -0500
Hi Moose,

> Many pubs, both print and electronic, reviewed these cameras. The
> conclusions about ranking varied quite a bit. They all commented on
> noise too, but came to different conclusions. Michael Reichmann, for
> example found the noise in the A2 no problem. Some went wild about
> purple fringing, others weren't much concerned. Hard to find
> a consensus
> in the ones I read. I seem to recall that the Can*n and Nik*n often
> ended up low and the Konic* and Oly often high. The S*ny seemed to be
> all over the place in how reviewers placed it.
>
> Moose

Having just been doing some reading of reviews, I think that Reichmann
is certainly one of the more interesting reviewers.  I know that this
has been discussed before hereabouts, but I certainly come away feeling
like I know more about Reichmann than I really want to.  Still, I sense
that his opinions are often hard-won and not to be discounted just
because he expects to be able easily to work these cameras' buttons with
gloves on in the winter in Toronto, and so forth.

I get the feeling from reading around that, aside from preferences about
ergonomics and menus, there is a "je ne sais qua" aspect to good digital
capture.  Olympus' cameras seems to have this, as far as I can tell,
despite fringing, noise at higher speeds, etc.  As we Linn-ies used to
say, "Throw away the specs and shut up and listen."  I think you do your
best to be rational about these decisions and then follow your
instincts.

Joel W.