[OM] Re: M18V Control grip with NiCds

Subject: [OM] Re: M18V Control grip with NiCds
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 20:50:36 +1000

> I don't know the answer to your question Wayne, but I would
> *not* do it until you get an informed response.  There is
> more to the Control Grip than just a switch or two, I see
> transistors, diodes, resistors, a capacitor and who knows what here:
>
> http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/PDFs/18VG_MD1_101.pdf
>
> You might care to compare it with this:

> http://olympus.dementia.org/Hardware/PDFs/OM_15VCtlPack1_03A.pdf

> Kudos to Tim Hughes!

Thanks for that !  Had a look at the cct diagrams and it looks like the
M15 & M18 both have the diode from pin 2 (charger input ?) to the -ve of
the battery holder.  Is the diode for protection against reverse
polarity from a charger or is it used as a 1/2 wave rectifier ?

> OTOH there is nothing quite like the acrid stench of frying electrics
to bring back memories of
> previous 'educational' experiences!

Been there, smelt that, PhD in experimental Physics !

...Wayne