[OM] OT Memory, brain usage and recall(s), was Looking for a lost tripod

Subject: [OM] OT Memory, brain usage and recall(s), was Looking for a lost tripod
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 21:10:44 -0700
This is my belief too. Cases in Oliver Sack's* books and other sources
make it pretty clear that our brain capacity is being used at
essentially 100%. When one sense is lost, that area of the brain
rapidly, and we are talking a few day here, starts functioning in
support of the compensatory sense(s). Most recent example I recall was
an episode of Scientific American Frontiers. A young woman was given
training in reading Braile and her brain function when reading it
tested. She was then blindfolded throughly for a week. At the end of the
week, her ability to read Braile was way up, much more sensitive use of
touch. The test showed that the visual processing part of the brain was
very much involved in the use of touch, hweras it had not been at first.
After a few days of "regained" sight, everything was back to normal.

Moose

*Are we all now to take public credit for correct plural usages? ;-)

W Shumaker wrote:

>Maybe it is simply "they" don't know what the rest of the brain is
>doing. How does one "determine" whether we are using our brains or not?
>OK, don't answer that. I believe we use 80-90% of our brain, we just
>don't necessarily do anything deemed useful with it, like arguing with
>ourselves.
>

>Also, imperfection is underrated. It is a very useful function.

Amen, brother!

One of my favorite poem/songs is from Leonard Cohen:

"Ring all the bells that still will ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.
That's how the light gets in."