[OM] Re: B&W with Color Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: B&W with Color Filters
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:28:17 -0400
Cc: evan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Before I start, there are a bizillion sources for this info on the web or in
basic, B&W photo books.  Do some searches on Google, etc.

In general, a particular filter lightens objects of the same color on the film.
 So a Green filter will lighten foliage.  Yellow-Orange-Red are basically the
opposite of blue-colored sky or haze, so they both increase contrast, darken
the sky, cut through haze, and lighten their own colors (with fall colors).

I most often use either a K1 yellos, Orange, or 25A Red.  These three will see
you thorough most situations.

You can also see the effects with some freeware Photoshop actions or the use of
the channel mixer.

Skip