[OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?

Subject: [OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:42:25 EDT
In a message dated 6/15/04 1:48:27 PM Central Daylight Time, hiwayman@xxxxxxx
writes:

> In major curmudgeon and gadfly mode, I ask this:

OK, we all do that from time to time.

> Why do you want to shoot something that's been shot a million times before?
>  Do you really think you'll get something marvelous, some Ansel Adams
> "Moonrise" sort of masterpiece nobody else has ever done before?

Because I haven't done it a million times before (or even once) and I might
just get an image that could hang on my wall that I find pleasing.  There is
also the outside possibility that I might learn something in the process.  If
I'm going to see someplace so significantly different from the coastal plains
on
which I live, why would I not capture some images of it?

I often shoot nature and wildlife stuff with a group of friends and we then
get together later to critique our results.  It is interesting how each of us
sees our world and although we will have a few photographs which are
essentially our interpretation of the same subject matter, it is just as often
than we
marvel at what one or the other of us has seen that we totally missed.

Some of my favorite images have been done within about 50 feet of my
backdoor, as well as, inside the house.  That is one of the reasons I plant the
things
I plant and feed the birds, squirrels and rabbits that share this urban
landscape with us.

I hope my mortars didn't fall too close to your fox hole.

Bill Barber