[OM] Re: B&W with Color Filters

Subject: [OM] Re: B&W with Color Filters
From: W Shumaker <om4t@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 06:59:29 -0400
When a camera says it is 5mpx, that means individual R, G or B color
sensors each count as one pixel. So if you put a red filter on the
camera, you are throwing away 2-3 times the pixel information, making
it a 1.67 mpx camera for an R-G-B-G pattern. The camera needs all the
colors to do proper interpolation. That is, a R pixel gets G and B
values from interpolation. Although you probably already knew this.

Wayne