[OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?

Subject: [OM] Re: Great Sand Dunes National Monument (soon to be Park)?
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:47:49 +0000
In major curmudgeon and gadfly mode, I ask this:

Why do you want to shoot something that's been shot a million times before?  Do
you really think you'll get something marvelous, some Ansel Adams "Moonrise"
sort of masterpiece nobody else has ever done before?

Long ago, I took thousands of pictures like this, those "Walt was here" photos,
most naught but the equivalent of another shot out the window of a tour bus, or
taken with my feet planted right where thousands before me had stood to take
the same picture, just another tired, hackneyed, postcard shot.  Wow, kids,
look: it's the Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, Half Dome, the Golden Gate, Madonna
naked, yada, yada, yada.  Nothing original, and most all long gone to the
landfill.

I've decided to spend a year -- yeah, that's right, one full year, four full
seasons -- photographing almost nothing but my yard and the stuff that's in it
or that I catch passing through.  (I'll make an exception or two for TOPE shots
and vacation expeditions.)  Otherwise, this means I'm confined to one acre of
woods in the northwest Atlanta suburbs.  I've got six months to go, and I'll
put up some stuff when I'm done.  So far, pretty damn good.

Not copying what other folks have done before is making me a better
photographer.  Stupid me, I thought I couldn't get any better!  :-)

Walt, going into hiding, 'cause I know this'll get me in trouble -- again.

-------------- Original message from NSURIT@xxxxxxx: --------------